Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MPET Intermediate Thread

Perhaps you know your way around a schematic, soldering iron and basic test equipment.

Intermediate knowledge relating to the OMARC MPET, this is your thread to toss around some questions and ideas.

Comments

• edited February 2017

For specific applications, I will follow a certain format to educate on the how and why behind it. Posting this in "Intermediate" for now, with certain topics going to other threads.

MPET Application Name: Embedded MPET for IP and DV modes.

Definitions:

• IP is for Internet Protocol
    • DV is for Digital Voice (DMR, D-Star, Fusion, etc)
    • MPET is for Multi Purpose Educational Transceiver
    • APRS is for Automated Packet Reporting System

Phased Application Goals:

Phase 1 (Think): Select the appropriate Microsoft windows based compute platform to embed an MPET into to make it a stand alone, streamlined piece of amateur radio equipment. In my case due to "shack surplus" I decided on the HP DC7600 SFF desktop computer, since I have a few of them and parts are common enough since its an older computer but still current enough for applications presented below.
    Start Date: 12/2/2016
    Documentation: See this thread

Phase 2A (Build): Integrate the MPET into the DC7600 with minimal hardware changes to allow for reversion back to a normal computer if ever needed.
    Start Date: 12/2/2016
    Documentation: Here is the official thread. BOOM!

Phase 2B (Connect): Integrate IP connectivity with mesh network for rapid field deployment as well as on-board Wi-Fi or other WAN technologies such as cellular.
    Start Date: 12/9/2016
    Documentation: Here is the thread and more will come to this.

Phase 3 (Test): Test initial application of integrated MPET with a very simple sound card interface for use as a headless Echolink link node (Example: K2GOG-L) or repeater link (Example: CALLSIGN-R)
    Documentation: Coming Soon!

Phase 4 (Revise): Test the integrated MPET and sound card interface for other non DV applications such as an APRS node or gateway, POCSAG server (Concept inspiration by KC2NDA and other sources), message machine or remote analog FM transceiver

Phase 5 (Expand): Test the integrated MPET and migrate from sound card interface to DV interface to enable a multi-mode digital voice hotspot
    Start Date: 1/7/2017

Phase 6 (Shrink): Move towards making the embedded MPET into a smaller form factor computing device using different operating systems for phase 4 and 5 applications.

• Wow! Now that I see what 'Intermediate' looks like...I know I made the right choice when determining that I was a "Beginner"...however I find this clear step by step information and instruction very interesting and intriguing...nice to know it will be here when I am ready.
    Thanks Steve,

Paul

• I like the plan man! B)