Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you paid your OMARC 2018 dues yet? Contact Rich AC2MT if you have not.
Happy Holidays from the OMARC Website!!!
Winter Field Day - Jan 27th & 28th 2018- See Forum or K2GOG for more info!

Phase 1 (Think): Embedded MPET for IP and DV modes.

My overall goal with the MPET for this project for quick description was stick it inside a computer, run the MPET off the internal computer power supply and do stuff with it.

For a recap: Have a look at the process I am following to chart my progress.

In the past I took an old commercial Icom mobile radio and built it in to an old tower desktop computer for use as an Echolink node, streaming device, etc, but I never liked how much current it drew on receive ( or transmit), it was noisy ( sound-wise and RF-wise) , it was huge and a pain to interface how I wanted.

This proved to be annoying, so I went back to an external radio and power supply with sound card interface which still needed to be hooked into a computer while I looked for a different approach as time permitted.

There had to be a better way that would be more streamlined!

When Aaron KC2NDA sent me a link about the Ritron board being available at quantity late 2016, I knew I had to jump on board right away to get a few!

Hope this explains the concept.

Below is a picture of the "streamlined" integration of the MPET to the chosen computer. ( Under the hood pictures found elsewhere!)

Here is the "external" way of doing the same thing with the Icom, power supply and sound card interface that I had hooked up to the same type of computer a few years ago for comparison.

It is possible to NOT have to go down the path to build the MPET into a computer like I have done and many may say using the same power supply to run the MPET and computer is not a good idea for many reasons, but I wanted to do it anyway!

And it works, pretty good!

Building the MPET into a self contained enclosure with power supply, battery power and sound card interface is on the list too.

Thoughts?
  1. Was this post...1 vote
    1. too long?
        0.00%
    2. too long and complicated, back it up a few steps!
      100.00%
    3. about the right length considering the topic.
        0.00%