Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comments

• Wow! this is fascinating....plants use the same method of signaling to their branches (just like limbs in humans) action potentials, as humans use.

They can also count.

They can be wired together so that stimulation of one plant, for example a Venus Flytrap, will 'signal' another plant, for example a Mimosa piduca, to close almost instantly just like a binary circuit is either 'on' or 'off'.

So...I think I've figured out a way to get a team of plants to help at ouir next field day.

It will take:
    1. Tomatoes to provide 'solar power'
    2. Several Venus Fly traps to serve as the 'triggering devices'.
    3. Many more Mimosa pudicas to be connected in both series and parallell to serve as 'binary counters'.

Here's how it works:
    A. The 'on the air human', a licensed Ham, makes a contact and touches one of the six sensors inside the Venus flytrap which initiates an 'action potential' (i.e. measurable change in voltage).

B. The voltage signal is sent to the Mimosa pudica circuit which 'counts' the number of contacts. An sends it's own 'action potential' which not only lowers the branch of a given Mimosa pudica, but also sends an electrical impulse to a computer connected to our field day log.

C. All the time the Tomato plants are pumping out the needed electrical energy.

I'm sure many OMARC club members can help with the detailed circuitry and wiring, however that is the fun of the Hobby.

Perhaps we can get a grant from the ARRL to fund the project. It will make a great artcile in QST.

CJ, I'm hoping you can begin grown the required plants once we get funding for this grant.

Thanks again for another interesting post.

My warped sense of humor aside, I LOVE SCIENCE!

• Haha! I love it Paul! We think so similar! Great plant powered binary counter idea!