Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you paid your OMARC 2018 dues yet? Contact Rich AC2MT if you have not.
Happy Holidays from the OMARC Website!!!
Winter Field Day - Jan 27th & 28th 2018- See Forum or K2GOG for more info!

Official OMARC MPET Introduction

Welcome to the MPET (Multi Purpose Educational Transceiver)

This initial post includes helpful information about the OMARC MPET Project. Below are links to a number of helpful getting started documents that have been presented at recent club meetings. Additionally, the link for the service manual is included below.

Please do not be afraid to ask questions in this thread. As we get certain categories of questions, the moderators will move them to new threads to make it easy to find information about specific member projects with the MPET or more basic questions as we build out the OMARC forums.

Comments

• Thanks to the MPET Team for conceiving of and implementing this project. As a new ham this comes at a perfect time for me and my goal to learn more about what is 'under the hood' of my radios.

I count myself most fortunate to have joined OMARC at this time.

I've posted my project 'vision' and objective on the Beginner's Thread.

All the effort of the MPET Team and the Executive Committee is much appreciated.

Paul

• edited January 2017

Before the first batch of MPET's were distributed at the last meeting, I had to set up a little bit of a production line to program them all. Here is a nice shot of that!

Note: The slider on the OMARC homepage was made to be a bit darker so the text pops out just a little.

Here is a link for those that want a super high resolution version for those that want it. Don't forget to click the image to enlarge it further

• Wow! Steve the high resolution image is amazing. You can read the printing on the chips. What camera did you use? How many did you end up programming? How long did it take you? If you keep this up we'll have to assign a documentary film producer to follow you around.

I've purchased some of the 'makings' for my project and Chuck is dropping by today to 'consult' with me. I have some highly technical questions for him...such as..."Hey Chuck, what size machine screws do I need to mount this Ritron thingy on this piece of Lexan...and what size drill do I use to poke a hole in the plastic...and...well you see that Chuck will be challenged to answer all my queries.

Thanks Steve,

Paul

• Programmed 50. Aaron and I talked about how long it would take to do them and neither of us wanted to do it, BUT.... It was not that bad.

Most of the time was taking them out of the bubble wrap bags and putting them back in. It took 13 minutes to program them all. I unwrapped them as I was letting units get flashed with the programming. Overall it took 48 minutes total so I was at less than one per minute (when factoring in the packaging) and 4 per minute for just the programming. The initial estimate was 5-10 minutes using my special factory cable.

Aaron is going to program the next batch of 50!! (Can you best me on units/per minute? :) )

Camera was nothing fancy, just my mobile phone ( which does have a fancy Carl Zeiss lens and low noise image sensor) and I used the manual focus feature centered just above the foreground to intentionally blur out the boards too close and too far for an "artistic approach"

Also, it may be advanced, but a great piece of open source photo editing software (Similar to Adobe PhotoShop) is called GIMP.

I used that to reduce the brightness and add some transparency to the version I posted as a slider image on the OMARC homepage. NOTE: I will NOT be offering any "how to" help on that software. It is very complicated, but very well documented. :smiley:

• Impressive! Someday when we are together...I'd like to see that phone in action.

If you need help taking the next 50 out of the bubble wrap bags and putting them back, you can count on me...that is just about my level of competence right now and I'd be delighted to help.

Carpe Weekend,

Paul