Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Summits On The Air: Hudson Valley

edited April 2017 in "ON THE AIR" Activity

Summits on the Air (SOTA) is an award scheme for radio amateurs and shortwave listeners that encourages portable operation in mountainous areas. SOTA has been carefully designed to make participation possible for everyone – this is not just for mountaineers!

There are awards for Activators (those who ascend to the summits), Chasers (who remain in the warmth of their radio shacks) and Short Wave Listeners.

In the Greater New York Area, there are 716 unique locations that qualify for SOTA.

As the weather gets nice, I plan to activate as many of the Greater Catskills 118 locations as possible during the weekends.

Bands I will target to operate from include 6m, 15m and 20m during daylight expeditions. I am uncertain if overnight expeditions will be permitted, but will try for at least one after getting proper permission from the domestic authorities.

Here is the listing of all locations. I am not set on any order, locations or elevations, but will probably try to target locations that have NOT been activated before.

Here is the official W2 Association Reference Manual (version 1/3) updated, 1st May 2010 with specific coordinates.

If anyone will be activating SOTA locations or interested in being a "Chaser", let me know.

SOTA Interests
  1. What band combo is of most interest?2 votes
    1. 2m/6m/20m/40m
      50.00%
    2. 6m/15m/17m/1.25m
        0.00%
    3. 10m/15m/20m/40m
        0.00%
    4. 6m/17m/20m/40m/
      50.00%
Tagged:

Comments

• edited April 2017

Nice weather yesterday called for an extended weekend! I took a preliminary trip to Stissing Mountain. Stissing is just one of many SOTA sites on the east side of the Hudson River

Spotted a nice pheasant on the way back to the car. It moved too quick to get a better picture of its shiny red and green head.

Planning a more detailed mission next weekend. May or may not decide to bring the 817 with me to play a little radio.

• Didn't realize it at the time, however I 'activated' a SOTA location.

SOTA website is a great adjunct to the hobby...I plan to use it on future travels.

The location I visited is shown below.