Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BCD & Chester's Approach

Comments

• edited February 2017

Posted Feb. 22. Edited Feb. 28.

Looks like I'm destined to constantly run out of breadboard wires and condemned to making my own. My wire is much less flexible and making them is a pain in the ass and a waste of my time. I might choose to buy one of those packs of 400 that I've seen on E-bay. I need female connectors as well as male. I've been looking for them at Radio Shack but they don't seem to have them any more even though they still sell breadboards. I'll keep you posted.

• THIS COMMENT IS A TEST
    This comment was first posted on February 28.

• THIS COMMENT IS A TEST

Posted on February 28.
    The test is for font control.

• Line one is supposed to appear as a headding.
    • Line two is supposed to appear bold and italicized.
    • Line three is supposed to appear normal.

The above three lines are supposed to appear as an unordered list.

:# An Emoji precedes this text.

• Hi Chester, Regarding your test posted on Feb. 28... all three lines do appear with small black circles as I receive them...however no formatting as heading, italicized. All three lines same font. Take care, Paul

• AC2UQ,

But I can see the effects on my screen. %$#@&; ! ! !

Do my posts appear in chronological order according to the date they were first posted or do they drop to the bottom when edited?

Did you get the Emoji?

Did you get the wire I sent you?

Thanks for the feedback Paul.

KC2ZYF

• Could you try refreshing your screen please?

• Hi Chester, It is now 9:13 am...and I got to this page by clicking on the automated email that was sent to me.
    I just refreshed my screen.
    I still do not see any difference between the three 'bulleted' lines.
    There is a note with a yellow faced teeth bared emoji saying 'An Emoji precedes this text' however on my screen there is no emoji visible prior to the words "This test is for font control"...

I selected your comment and will attempt to paste it below:

THIS COMMENT IS A TEST

Posted on February 28.
    The test is for font control.

Line one is supposed to appear as a headding.
    Line two is supposed to appear bold and italicized.
    Line three is supposed to appear normal.
    The above three lines are supposed to appear as an unordered list.

:# An Emoji precedes this text.

Ah...it seems to have worked.

Take care,

Paul
    Posting this at 9:17 am

• Ok, thanks mate.

• WOAH!
    This 8 button switch is available from West Florida Components.
    Push in any button and all the others pop out.
    I just ordered one for $6 plus shipping.
    Call toll free: 866 342-2003.
    Ask for part number PSC84422

MENTION THIS MEMBERS ONLY CODE AND RECEIVE 10% OFF ANY ORDER!

"OMARCCLUB"

https://westfloridacomponents.com/SW095APD/Gang+Switch+8+Position+Push+Button+4PDT+PSC84422.html

• Better hurry. They only have 470 left!

• What, you don't want the ones I was going to give you? ;)

• Could be that neither part is what I want. I need to consider various possibilities. Looking forward to seeing what you have !

• Here's a circuit that converts 8 push buttons into the binary numbers from 1 to 8. This is not quite what I need since the Muppet wants numbers from 0 to 7. No problem since i can just shift the circuit over one button and eliminate the forth binary digit. The switch, is coming from Florida, and will probably be here in a couple of days. I already have a bag of diodes. So that means that I can breadboard this thing on the weekend. I'm pretty excited about the channel selection I've chosen. Meanwhile I'm pokin' around for an enclosure I like. At this point a metal box seems like the way to go.

• Great diagram.. What did you use for creating he schematic? Corel?

• edited March 2017

Thank you. Yes. After finding this via Google I decided to test it in Logisim, an electronics simulator program mostly limited to logic gates but with a few other features. It doesn't have any diodes so I first used transistors. After putting it out as a JPG (minus the transistors) I imported the image in CorelDraw. From there it was pretty easy but "somehow" I wound up bedding down at around 3am.

I also have "Fritzing" installed, which is specifically designed for drawing circuits but it is not a simulator. Fritzing does make pretty pictures though and it also lays our circuit boards with traces and such.

Nice to hear you on the net last night.

• Notice that after the third button a nice pattern emerges the more buttons you add. Once that pattern is understood you can expand it to add as many buttons as you want. There is no logical limit to this progression although the physics may not support it, which of course is the case with all imaginary circuits. There are faster, cheaper and more compact ways of modeling this circuit and higher iterations. I just happen to have a bag of twenty diodes handy.

• Switch arrived today and it's perfect. 3 days shipping and only six bucks minus the OMARC members' discount. I think I might order a few more. And I need to find some buttons; black plastic or some solid aluminum or other metal. The indicator LEDs are on their way from China. April maybe?

• Nice breadboard layout Chester! I'm full of "breadboard envy" :)
    It looks like you are making good progress.

• Ok. Finally and at last I have something with electrons in it.
    Click here to view a demo on YouTube....
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=HP3Dtqh48Ao&feature=youtu.be